Last summer, my work on the Annotator was strictly client-side, with my mentor taking care of all of the server-side code and juts telling me which methods to use on my end. This year, though, I’m making additions to the framework we built the Annotator on to add the ability Continue reading Weeks 7, 8, 9 – All the server-side things→
This week was devoted to refining the User and Permission interfaces, and starting to test them. A User will basically consist of a grouping of Permissions, and also a grouping of preferences. The Annotator will then need to check for the relevant permissions when necessary, and also store and make Continue reading Week 6 – User and Permission Interfaces→
This week, I brought Robin’s ontology search into the Annotator. We already had the ability to load an ontology from a URI. Now a user can search for a term and see ontologies that contain that term in a table. Clicking on an entry auto-completes the “import” box with the Continue reading Week 5 – tying things together→
My labmate Yue has done some awesome work getting ontology search working, and we met early this week to discuss integrating it into the Annotator. One of the challenges with that is that there are already so many different aspects to the Annotator – windows for the data itself and Continue reading Week 4 – Combining efforts→
I spent the brunt of this week continuing my work on updating the Annotator. Originally I was finishing the implementation of maintaining state of the webapp on page refresh, but it became a more complex task to ensure that events were bound properly both on an original load of a Continue reading Week 3 – Continuing Annotator updates→
Because a cookie is way too small to store necessary session information for the Annotator, I’ve started implementing sessionStorage and localStorage in order to maintain the application state. Two main areas of the DOM change with user interaction: the table, which is the graphical part that the user actually sees Continue reading Week 2 – storing user progress→
Last summer, I worked a lot on building the Semantic Annotator for DataONE, and this summer, I was granted the opportunity to continue to improve upon it. I made some small changes over the course of the last year, mostly fixing bugs that came up, but now I have nine Continue reading Week 1 – Returning to the Annotator→
The 2014 DataONE Summer Internship research activity will launch shortly. Check back for updates at the end of May / beginning of June.