This week we had two goals 1) to further define our knowledge representation structure by going through the ECSO ontology and determining which custom annotations can be systematically replaced with standard SKOS elements and 2) to improve the thematic contents of interest within the ontology related to carbon cycling. For Continue reading Week 4: ECSO knowledge representation and carbon cycling incorporation
Moving into the third week of the project I pulled back a bit and did some background reading. The issue with the Protégé 5 ontology imports I decided was an issue stemming from my ignorance with regards to the software and terminology therein. To remedy this I read the book Continue reading Week 3: Protégé 5 and OWL
This week I began by going through the paper by Chapin et al., 2006 (doi:10.1007/s10021-005-0105-7) and pulled out terms to search on the DataOne site. I then queried those terms using the R dataone package and query code. The query code had to be slightly altered since the default search Continue reading Week 2 Update
My name is Elizabeth Olson, and I am the DataONE Summer Intern on the project, “Improving DataONE’s Search Capabilities Through Controlled Vocabularies.” This project focuses on improving researchers search capabilities within the DataONE data repository. In order to improve the recall and search precision of the data objects available through Continue reading Improving Search Capabilities Through Controlled Vocabularies: Week 1
We are excited to begin work with our 2017 cohort of summer interns across a range of projects. Information about the projects can be found on our internship description page. Our interns will start recording their activities, experiences and results in this space starting May 2017.