Week 9: Best practices and reflection

In the final week of our internship we’ll make separate blog posts and use our posts to both provide updates about our project and also reflect on the experience of our two month DataONE internship. In the final week of our project, we made additions and edits to the data Continue reading Week 9: Best practices and reflection

Week 8: Analysis, figures and data citation best practices

In our 8th week, we worked with project mentors to refine our systematic review database and analysis. The main question for our internship was whether a selection of data-aggregation studies could be repeated through repositories available in DataONE. During the preceding weeks we extracted dozens of pieces of data from Continue reading Week 8: Analysis, figures and data citation best practices

Week 7: Modeling data-aggregation input data source and output information

Welcome to the seventh installment of Project 2: Supporting Synthesis Science! First, I neglected to include in last week’s blog one of the nice plots Rob made to display the characteristics of our set of data-aggregation studies. This one is a map showing how the number of papers breaks down Continue reading Week 7: Modeling data-aggregation input data source and output information

Week 8: DataONE MetaData parser Application

Hi All, This blog is in follow-up with my earlier blogs for the Project 4: Extending Libmagic for Identification of Science Resources. This week was very fruitful and we were able to resolve most of our design and development issues for the final application. The application developed is in its final Continue reading Week 8: DataONE MetaData parser Application

Week 6: Parser, Metadata Mapper Using Apache Tika

Hi All, This blog is in follow-up with my earlier blogs for the Project 4: Extending Libmagic for Identification of Science Resources. After resetting our goals for rest of the project in the previous week. The goal is to extract metadata from different file formats using Apache Tika. Since we want Continue reading Week 6: Parser, Metadata Mapper Using Apache Tika

Week 5: Parser in Apache Tika for DataONE file Format.

Hi All, This blog is in follow-up with my earlier blogs for the Project 4: Extending Libmagic for Identification of Science Resources. In this week, we shared our progress with other developers by giving a short demo. We shared the working of file command and Apache Tika for custom detection of Continue reading Week 5: Parser in Apache Tika for DataONE file Format.

Week 4 – Data extraction

Following our refinements to our database of data sources and the lessons of last week, we dove further into the pool of data-synthesis articles we identified previously from NCEAS and Web of Science. Data extraction is (probably) the part of a systematic review that takes the most effort. It is Continue reading Week 4 – Data extraction

Week 4: Creating Parser in Apache Tika for onedcx file format

Hi All, This blog is in conjunction with my earlier blogs for the Project 4: Extending Libmagic for Identification of Science Resources. Continuing from the last week, we explored Apache serve functionality for detecting the Custom mime types for the DataONE file format. The httpd.conf file of the server is Continue reading Week 4: Creating Parser in Apache Tika for onedcx file format