This week my weekly goals included developing a standardized use case template and working with the github metadata directory page. I have never written or worked with use cases, so the first step in this process for me was to do my homework. I did some light reading to familiarize myself with use cases. Earlier in the Summer my mentor, Rebecca Koskela, sent me a use case template, which I familiarized myself with. We will be doing some revisions on this template in order to include additional fields.
My GitHub time this week was spent making additional edits to the page. There were a few broken links in the use cases on the page as well as in the standards. One of the major issues with metadata standards (from a librarians perspective) is that standards are often being revised or improved or scrapped altogether. While it wasn’t a huge issue regarding the standards on the GitHub page, I did get to see how content can quietly go out-of-date.
I will spend this next week continuing work on the GitHub page, as well as working with the use case template.
For your consideration: Semantic Web Methodology we utilize use case development: http://tw.rpi.edu/web/doc/TWC_SemanticWebMethodology
A big part of our iterative development process is Use Case development: http://tw.rpi.edu/web/UseCases. At the bottom you’ll see a couple templates. We mostly use the first one.