The main tasks within this week are reading papers and looking for case studies. I looked through some cases of environmental health studies and documented the environmental data used. Most of the studies in the last five years have documented their data sources very clearly and most of the data are still publicly available online. In order to understand how DataONE can help environmentla community with their data needs, the next step should be digging out some cases that use resources within DataONE holdings. Moreover, looking at what domains these authors come from will be useful in understanding to what extent DataONE can reach out to various disciplines. While we are waiting for IRB approval, we are making progress in getting a list of potential participants. We’ll start from the people working in Synthesis Centers as soon as we get IRB approval.
Plans for next week:
- Continue the list of case studies. Try to find cases that used data in DataONE holdings.
- Write up a section in white paper documenting how we select the cases, why we do this, what are the domains of authors in the cases, and how can environmental data help human health studies.
- Contact USGS environmental health group. Find out institution history of working with interdisciplinary fields. Talk to key personnel and look at some documents, try to understand how they identify new communities and how they bring different disciplines together.
- Develop a stakeholders Map, figure out the communication channels. The focus is how we can bridge the emerging communities and their data needs.
- Continue to update bibliography, focusing on case studies and synthesis centers.